NixOS for the confused – Part 0
Hi! Saying that a lot of folks on Mastodon were begging me to write some stuff about NixOS would be a lie. It was one person. Maybe two. No matter, though: we’re doing it anyway. In this series of n parts, I’m going to try and document my bumbling forays into NixOS territory.
“Cool!”, you say. And, yes, it is pretty “cool.” Before we start, however, let me establish some rules of engagement:
- I assume NixOS is installed;
- Flakes are going to be used;
- Home Manager is going to happen;
- There might be some colorful language, so reader discretion is advised;
- I’m not going to fuck with making my own derivations, elaborate software building , etc;
- This is just me documenting the journey from confused to typical NixOS enjoyer.
What will we do, then?
- Get a cool Flake going to bootstrap our stuff;
- Setup a sweet environment with Hyprland;
- Blow up that Hyprland environment, start over with AwesomeWM;
- Get some shit installed for our hardware
- Mount a goddamned NFS share in, like, 3 lines of .nix;
- Install a whole FPGA toolchain in, like, 7 lines of .nix;
- Manage UDEV nonsense in, like, 1 line of .nix because we want USB devices without
Sounds pretty good, eh? Let’s get to it. All the cool kids are Nix-ing these days, and you don’t want to miss out. REMEMBER, though: I don’t really know what I’m doing; and that’s the best way to learn.
And, oh… Obviously this thing is getting pushed to RSS and to the Fediverse for your reading pleasure.
Part I coming soon. Let's do that NixOS!